Toilet rolls are finished at an impressive rate in our house (note to self, never trust a toddler near a full roll!) Put the empty tubes to good use with these 5-minute craft ideas. They're perfect for toddlers and preschoolers.
1. Toilet roll car: take a toy for a ride!
What to do:
- Help your child to snip a little bit from the middle of the tube. (This is where the driver sits)
- Now, they paint the tube a fast car colour (like racing red!).
- Once dry, they snip and stick black paper wheels, paint on go faster stripes and add a lucky number.
2. Easy toilet roll craft: sssuper snake
It’s so simple:
- Your child paints the tube a snakey colour.
- Once dry, they paint some snakey patterns (zigzags, stripes or spots).
- When that dries, they cut down from the top of the tube in a spiral.
- Finally, add a paper tongue and googly eyes.
3. Use a toilet roll to craft a cool cat!
- Cut the tube in half (they can use the other half for the pig, if you like).
- Now your child paints it a cat colour.
- Once dry, they add paper ears, paws, whiskers and a tail.
- Then they draw on a cute cat’s face and add googly eyes.
4. Twoo! Transform a toilet roll into an owl
How to make it:
- Fold in the top of the tube and push down so you create two ears.
- Now your child paints it a good owl colour.
- Once dry, they pop on googly eyes.
- And then they paint wings, feathers, a beak and claws.
5. Fishy socks
What to do:
- Cut the tube in half (they can use the other half to make the cat).
- Now your child paints it piggy pink.
- Once dry, they add pink paper ears, googly eyes and a button nose.
- Then they snip into the tube to create front trotters.
- For the tail, they twist paper to make it curl.