Images and words: Sara Conway
1 Ten second tent: a cosy space for stories
You’ll need: a bedsheet, pegs, string
- Tie a piece of string tightly between two points in your room.
- Throw a sheet over the string and peg so it’s touching the floor on one side.
- Position two chairs in front.
- Lift the front corners of the sheet and peg over the chairs and/or tie the sheet in place with string.
- Make it comfortable with blankets, cushions and books to curl up with.
2 Table cave: ridiculously simple
You’ll need: a table, a sheet, fairy lights (optional)
- Sweep everything off the table.
- Throw a sheet over it.
- Adorn with fairy lights.
3 Den-spiration! Improvise with what you have
The Simms pulls out a curtain to make an instant tipee. The Zedigs favour sofas, sheets and bulldog clips. The Bells use clothes airers and sheets. Grab whatever’s to hand and get your kids to experiment with what works best.
4 Teddy’s turn: can they make a mini den for their teddy?
Help them cut one side off a cardboard box. Then they turn it upside down, drape it with muslins and put some soft blankets inside. Light with torchlight.
5 Finishing touches: to make their den personal
Can they make their den extra special with a homemade sign to pin over the door? They could also make paper chains, paper streamers or bunting.