Images and words: Sara Conway
1 Funny frog: this hoppy friend is fun to bounce around
You’ll need: a paper bag, green paint, green paper, googly eyes and tape
- Give your child the bag to paint green.
- Then they can snip out arms and legs from the green paper.
- Once the bag is dry, they can tape all the pieces to the bag and stick on some googly eyes.
- Now your child can pop their hand inside the bag and make their puppet jump.
2 This little piggy: perfect for telling stories with. Why not make three?
You’ll need: a pink paper bag, pink paper, a black pen and tape (if you don’t have a pink bag, your child can paint one)
- Ask your child to cut a snout, ears and rectangle legs from pink paper.
- Then they glue them to the bag and add googly eyes.
- Finally, they can use the black pen to add a mouth, nostrils and trotters.
3 Stripy zebra: a stripy puppet that’s hot to trot!
You’ll need: a black and white striped paper bag, black and white paper, googly eyes and tape (if you don’t have a black and white stripy bag, use a brown one and make a pony instead.)
- Ask your child to cut an oval nose and ears from white paper, and hair and nostrils from black paper.
- Then they can stick everything on the bag and add googly eyes.
4 Superhero! This super puppet is ready to fly!
You’ll need: a paper bag, coloured paper, googly eyes, a black pen and glue
- Give your child the paper to cut a mask shape and cape (big triangle) from. You might need to help them cut the mask – it’s easier if you fold the paper.
- Now they stick the mask to the front and the cloak to the back of the bag.
- Then, they stick googly eyes beneath the eyeholes in the mask.
- Finally, they draw on a smile and hair.
5 Smiling giraffe: a tall bag is ideal for making a long neck
You’ll need: a tall bag (like a wine gift bag), brown and orange paper, googly eyes, tape, glue and a black pen
- Give your child orange paper to cover the bag with.
- Now, they can snip an oval nose, and ears from orange paper.
- And then cut patches and horns from the brown paper.
- Finally, they glue everything onto the bag and add the googly eyes. And draw on a smile!