Images and words: Sara Conway
Embrace all the colours of the rainbow with these easy activities to make kids feel proud. The best thing is, they keep children busy and give a little bit of time back to you. Plus, they use stuff you’re likely to have at home. Everything’s better when it’s rainbow coloured!
1) Swoosh rainbow: create a beautiful rainbow with one big sweep!
You’ll need: a washing up sponge, paper, paint
1. They paint the colours of the rainbow in stripes across the sponge.
2. Then they swoosh it in a rainbow arc. It works best if they press down on the sponge. That’s it!
2) Rainbow handprints: turn a handprint into a colourful picture!
They paint their hands with rainbow stripes and print! Then they can turn their prints into colourful fish and birds.
To make this peacock…
You’ll need: paint, a hand, coloured paper and googly eyes
1. They paint the rainbow on their hand and print.
2. Draw and snip the peacock’s body from coloured paper.
3. Draw and snip some feet and a beak from yellow paper.
4. Assemble the peacock and give him some googly eyes.
3) Collect the rainbow: set the kids a challenge!
Send the kids off to collect things that are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple and pink. Challenge them to turn a table floor into a rainbow… and then put it all away again!
4) Rainbow treasure
We all know there’s treasure at the end of a rainbow, but what is it? Tell your kids to fill a page with a rainbow picture and then draw the treasure they’d like to find under it.
5) Rainbow slime: somewhere over the rainbow is a ball of slime!
You’ll need: one cup of baby shampoo, two cups of cornflour plus 3 different food colours
1. Help your kids to spoon the cornflour into a bowl.
2. Then they can now stir in the shampoo and squish together.
3. Divide the slime into 3 equal-sized pieces.
4. Add a few drops of food colour to each part and get them to work it in so that they end up with 3 different colours of slime.
5. Now they lay the slimes next to each other, and stretch them and swirl them to make a rainbow.