Do you need 5 Minutes to enjoy a hot cup of tea, send a quick email or – heaven forbid – go to the loo in peace?
Here are some instant ideas to keep your little ones occupied while you focus on some well-deserved ME time.
They’re suitable for children aged 2-plus and need very little supervision from you.
So go on – go crazy – and do one of the little things you NEVER have time for. Style your hair, read a magazine, have a little nap! And let us do the hard work for you.
1) Pretend you’re a lazy Queen (or King) and your kids must wait on you – genius! You get to lay back and bark orders and they think it’s brilliant fun. ‘Please bring me a coaster for my drink’ and ‘Pass me that magazine, please!’
2) Challenge your children to make the craziest play clay monster! Set the timer on your phone for 10 minutes and tell them that you’ll be judging. You just need to rest your eyes for a minute or two to focus your mind.
3) Give your children a list of three things they need to find in the garden and collect in a bucket. A stick, a stone and even a worm! Look lovingly out of the window while enjoying a nice hot cup of tea. This idea works brilliantly indoors too. Swap the bucket for a bag.
4) Got a full recycling bin? Give your children an empty box and some crayons. Can they draw a house with windows and doors? If you’ve got a big box, they could turn it into a den. While they’re busy crafting, give yourself a 5-minute manicure.
5) Dress up as mum or dad! Grab a pile of adult clothes (even from the wash pile) and give your kids five minutes to try on the clothes before they show you the results. Then they can walk them to the washing machine – bonus!