Help your child learn phonics with Alphablocks!
When children watch Alphablocks on CBeebies, they see letters of the alphabet telling brilliant stories and creating words – all using phonics. These cute characters make learning phonics fun, so we’re delighted to bring you these games you can play using Alphablocks letter tiles.
The tiles are included as part of the Alphablocks Reading Programme, available exclusively in the 5 Minute Fun Shop. Are you ready for some fun with the Alphablocks?!
Grab your tiles and play these games
1. Wordmakers! Choose one vowel and two consonant tiles and give the consonant tiles to your child. Pop the vowel down and see if your little one can place their tiles in front and after it to make a word. Now change the middle vowel. What new words can they make?
2. Alpha-Hunt! Choose 2 simple words like ‘dog’ and ‘cat’. Take the 6 letter tiles that make these words and hide them around the room. Can your little one find all 6 letters, and then make the 2 words?
3. Sounds the Same! Make a word with the tiles, for example ’cat’. First, your little one sounds out ‘c-a-t’. Next, they think of rhyming words, like ‘bat’ and ‘hat’. Now make a funny poem together, like ‘the cat and the bat sat in a hat’! Try it with ‘dog’, too. ‘The dog and the frog danced on a log!’ Next, try ‘bug’ or ‘fox’.
4. Alpha-Picture! Each take 10 tiles and a piece of paper. Now each player creates a picture filled with things that begin with the letters. If you get an ‘m’ your picture could have mountains. If you get a ‘b’ your picture could have a boat. How different are the final works of art?
5. Wordplay! Pop all the tiles in a bag and pull out a letter each. Take it in turns to say 3 words that begin with that letter. Keep taking tiles until the bag is empty!
6. Name Game! Can your child spell their own name using the tiles? Now think of friends and family members. Can they have a go at spelling their names, too?
7. First Sounds! S, a, t, p, i, n are the first sounds taught at school. Have your little one pick tiles out of a bag until you find each one. Can your child make the sound out loud? Now, can they trace each letter out in the air with their finger?
8. Alphablocks connect! Draw a grid of 10 x 5 squares on a piece of A4 paper. Pop the tiles in a bag and each pull out 5. The first player who can make a word lays it on the grid. Now take it in turns to use your tiles to make new words on the grid. Just make sure they connect to each other in some way. Build words across or down. Take it in turns to pull tiles out of the bag so you each always have at least 5. The person who makes the most words is the WINNER!
9. Letter Tile Bingo! Think of a simple 3-letter word like ‘cat’. Sound out the letters for your little one. Now take turns pulling letter tiles out of a hat. Whoever makes the word first shouts “Bingo!”
10. Alphablocks Mime! Choose a letter tile and don’t show your little one. Act out something that begins with that letter. For example, if you get a ‘c’ you could moo like a cow! Can they guess your letter?