The loaf anyone can make
Make the most of time at home and bake your own bread with this super simple recipe, which is perfect for cooking with kids. With 5 simple store cupboard ingredients, you can create delicious fresh loaves when you need them, without leaving the house.
Remind your child to always wash their hands before you start cooking.
- Tip the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl. Now, your child can mix it all together with their clean fingers.
- Help them to fill a jug with 300ml warm water and add the oil and honey. Then they can pour it into the dry ingredients to stir it to make a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a surface. Tip out the dough and knead for 5 minutes, until the dough no longer feels sticky. You can sprinkle on a little more flour if you need to.
- Oil the loaf tin and put the dough in the tin, pressing it in evenly. Put in a large plastic food bag and leave to rise for 1 hr. Alternatively, place the loaf tin inside a large bowl and pop a tea towel over the top.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Make several slashes across the top of the loaf with a sharp knife (keep little hands out of the way for this bit!), then bake for 30-35 mins until the loaf is risen and golden. Tip it out onto a cooling rack and tap the base of the bread to check it is cooked. It should sound hollow.
Baking is science!
This recipe is particularly good because children can touch the ingredients and feel them changing at every stage of the recipe.