1. Teddy bear toasts
This one wins the cutest snack award. And it combines fruit with protein and wholemeal toast, so it scores high on nutrition, too.
*Leave off the peanut butter if your child is allergic to nuts. The bread is brown anyway.
- Toast the bread and help your child to smooth on the spread.
- Give them a child’s knife so they can cut segments of banana.
- Then assemble the bears using the fruit.
2. Awesome apple owl snack
5 fruits in one easy snack.
You’ll need: 2 apples, easy-peeler orange, raisins, banana and grapes, plus a breadstick
- Slice one apple in half to create the owl’s body and head.
- Give your child a safe knife so they can slice the banana and assemble the eyes.
- Meanwhile, cut the second apple into slices to create the wings.
- Help your child to peel the orange and select two segments.
- Slice the grapes in half.
- Build the owl so it’s sitting on the breadstick branch.
You could put a pot of hummus on the side of this snack for dipping, to add some protein.
3. Rainbow pitta pizzas
Turn the symbol of lockdown into a delicious and colourful vegetable-packed snack.
What you’ll need: Wholemeal pitta, hummus and different coloured vegetables (we used tomatoes, carrot, sweetcorn, peppers and cabbage)
What to do:
- Toast and halve the pitta bread.
- Once cool, your child can spread on the hummus.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables.
- Then your child can assemble their rainbow.
For a warm alternative, replace the hummus with passata and grated cheese. Add the vegetables and then pop under the grill to make a mini pitta pizza.
4. Cheerio rice cake owl snacks
Great for hungry moments – a protein-packed treat.
You’ll need: a rice cake, peanut butter*, apple, banana, blueberries, apple, easy-peeler orange
*if your child has a nut allergy, make a snowy owl with a soft cheese spread instead
- Help your child to add the spread to the rice cakes in a nice even layer.
- Give them a child’s knife to cut rounds from the banana. Meanwhile, you slice the apple. And cut a small beak from the orange (or a carrot).
- Assemble the owl as shown in the picture.