Easy peasy penguin craft
Pop your child's pennies in this playful penguin money box. We've used the simplest paper mache (or papier mâché) recipe to make the money box kid-proof! This fun activity also makes a perfect gift.
Make a paper mache money box using this method
- Prepare the paper mache (papier-mâché) mix, using this recipe.
- Blow up the balloon and stand it in a plastic cup.
- Help your child to cover the balloon with 2 layers of papier-mâché newspaper strips. Add a final layer of white paper strips. Leave a small gap big enough to fit a coin where the balloon is tied.
- Leave to completely dry stood upright overnight.
Once dry, use a pin to pop the balloon.
- Cut petal shapes from the black paper and help your child stick them to the penguin with glue. Make sure to leave a white space in the middle as this is the penguin’s tummy!
- Cut out a diamond from the orange paper and fold it in half. Ask your child to stick to the penguin for a beak. Cut out feet shape from the orange paper and stick to the bottom of the penguin.
- Finally, cut out wing shapes from the black paper and get your little one to stick to either side of the penguin. Complete with the googly eyes.