Easy paper mache craft
Use paper mache (or papier mâché) to make a children's musical instrument that really works!
1. Paper mache maracas
What to do:
- Prepare the paper mache mixture, using this easy paper mache glue recipe.
- Blow up the balloons so they’re quite small. If you have spare, blow up a few more for your kids to play with while the the papier-mache dries
- Ask your kids to cover the balloons with newspaper strips dipped in the papier-mâché mix. Create two balls. Make sure to leave a small space where the balloon is tied. Repeat to create 4 or 5 layers. For the final layer, use strips of wrapping paper instead of newspaper.
- Stand each ball in a glass and leave to dry completely (overnight).
- Once dry, use a pin to pop the balloons. Keep the eggs standing in the glasses and pour the dry grains into the shakers (you left a hole where the balloons were tied). Add just enough that they’ll make a sound when shaken. You can roll a piece of paper into a cone to use as a funnel to help get them in.
- Seal the hole with a piece of wrapping paper dipped in pva glue.