Healthy after-school snack idea
We asked Jenny Taylor to whip up some of her delicious berry pizzas for us to show you how easy this snack is to prepare at home. But, on the weekend Jenny was due to make these, disaster struck – she and her son were too poorly to do any cooking. So, Jenny’s 7-year-old daughter stepped in and made them instead! What a pro! And proof that this really is the simplest recipe. Jenny and her son are both fine now, and she’s shared her cooking tips below. We hope you’ll enjoy making these pizzas, too.
What you'll need
- Wheat Tortillas (one large tortilla makes four small pizzas)
- 1/2 cup strawberry Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup vanilla flavoured yogurt
- 4 large strawberries, quartered
- 8 raspberries
- 8 large blueberries, halved
- 4 large blackberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
- One hungry kid or adult
Follow this simple method
- Use a drinking glass and flip it upside down on top of the tortilla. Use a knife to cut around the edge to create four perfect circles. If children are doing this they can use a kid’s plastic knife and the tortilla will cut easily.
- Slice all your berries in half and strawberries into quarters. Kids can use a plastic knife for this as well.
- Scoop strawberry Greek yogurt on two circles and vanilla yogurt on the remaining two circles.
- Pile a few pieces of each kind of berry on top of each yogurt tortilla circle.
- Sprinkle coconut on top.
- Drizzle agave nectar or honey to finish.
We love to use two flavors of yogurt because the kids usually have two circles each. They like the variety. I like the thickness of the strawberry Greek but they love the sweetness of the vanilla. Either way, the sweet agave nectar with coconut on top makes this a tasty and pretty treat.
What’s great about this recipe besides being easy and healthy is you can substitute a lot of it with whatever you have in the fridge too. Use any fruit and any yogurt. Don’t have agave nectar use honey or maple syrup. . Why not try kiwi and banana on top if you’ve run out of berries? We’ve even been known to use cream cheese instead of yogurt.
Kid’s Berry Pizzas are fun to get friends involved too. Next time the kids have friends over, set everything up in small bowls so they can enjoy making their own snack together. Let’s be honest, kids are always hungry and always wanting to be entertained so it’s the perfect activity and snack in one!